Learn how the NNNGOs is helping its members and nonprofits with Covid-19
Call for Consultant, Community Early Warning and Response
Terms of Reference for an organization to support the establishment and training for community early warning and response teams in Banki and Gwoza LGA, Borno State.
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm.
We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide
practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
To augment our community-based protection work, CIVIC plans to introduce an innovative new approach – a
Community Early Warning and Response – in target locations for the purpose of responding to threats in
selected Local Government Areas (LGAs). We will then help communities strengthen systems to contend with
varying degrees of threat and ensure that do-no-harm considerations are integrated into the design to further
reduce risks to civilians.
CIVIC will support its Community Protection Committees (CPCs) to be trained in a locally appropriate way to
identify early warning signs, threats and respond effectively to such – e.g., engage security forces, flee, warn,
report, respond etc. Afterwards, the CPC members will be trained on how to report early warning and response.
This activity area will be built upon lessons learned, applying such a system in a localized setting leveraging on
CPCs, utilizing context appropriate technology (basic analog signals or mobile phone platforms), and reducing
response time to incidents by focusing on security or government actors present at the community levels in target LGAs.
Purpose of Data Collectors / terms of reference
CIVIC Nigeria is seeking the services of an organization that can lead the process of the advising, establishment
and training of a community early warning and response committees in 2 LGAs of Borno state (Gwoza and Banki). The organization will also train CIVIC Nigeria staff and community liaison Officers on all the processes
of establishment and set-up of the community early warning and response committee. As well as advise on the
best option to adopt in the context of Borno state and northeast Nigeria.
Under the supervision of the Team Lead, Nigeria, the organization will be required to.
● To provide a criterion for selection and outline the processes of establishment of a community early warning and response team,
● Support the establishment and training of CIVIC staff, community liaisons and CPC members in the various locations,
● Provide CIVIC with templates for monitoring the Community Early Warning and Response (CEWAR),
● Provide detailed soft and hard copies of the processes of establishment, training attendance lists with contact information of participants segregated by gender and successes and challenges encountered,
● Produce a detailed final report of the entire process of establishing an early warning and response system.
Skills, experience, and qualifications required
● At least six years progressive experience in the establishment, training and management of community early warning projects or programs.
● Previous experience of working with the UN or international agencies on conflict early warning and response.
● Availability and willingness to travel to the North-East and target locations.
● Ability to deploy multiple teams and work in close coordination with other CIVIC team members.
● Ability to conduct training and translate meeting discussions into Hausa language will be an added advantage.
The expected outputs will be:
• Members of Community Protection Committees in project locations and CIVIC staff trained on conflict early warning, response, and reporting,
• Final report of the entire process produced with pictures and attendance list of all beneficiaries,
• Schedule of periodic CEWART meetings developed.
The activity in this SOW is estimated to take a total of 15 working days.
Logistics and Support:
CIVIC Country Office shall provide necessary support to the consultant to execute the assignment during the
duration of the consultancy. These shall include:
• Security briefing for consultants
• Access to relevant project documents necessary for the execution of the duties under this consultancy.
• Facilitation of UNHAS flights & accommodation in deep field locations for the assignment.
Kindly note: For travel and accommodation, the UNHAS requires either a COVID vaccination certificate or a less than 72-hour negative COVID test result to access their services.
How to apply:
Interested organizations should send their expression of interest following the procedure below to email@example.com.
● A Technical and financial proposal indicating consultancy fee (lump sum fee) and a breakdown of expenses (unit price together with any other expenses) related to the assignment.
● Highlighting company profile, proposed methodology and timeline for the assignment.
● Organizational CV highlighting experience in similar projects; and
● Work references – contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees
● Certificate of registration and other relevant documents
The title must be expressly stated as the subject of the email quoting reference CEWAR092022. Any application without quoting the reference code will be disqualified. The Technical and Financial proposals including other documents should be sent in one folder.
Completed applications should reach us before COB, Thursday September 15, 2022. Only applicants who send
in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“CIVIC is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, etc.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CIVIC’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’.