Learn how the NNNGOs is helping its members and nonprofits with Covid-19
Position : Research Manager
Project : Aig-Imoukhuede Public Sector Index
Reports to: Project Manager
Employment Type : Consultancy
1. Overview of Aig-Imoukhuede Foundation
The Aig-Imoukhuede Foundation is a public-sector focused philanthropic organisation founded to improve
the lives of Africans through transformed public-service delivery and access to quality primary healthcare.
The Foundation is currently working with the Nigeria Economic Summit Group (NESG) to develop the AigImoukhuede Public Sector Index which seeks to measure the impact of public sector activities on the overall
productivity and economic growth of the Nigerian economy and on the well-being of its citizens.
Further information can be found at https://www.aigimoukhuedefoundation.org/
2. Introduction and Background to the Project
As part of its work to facilitate the transformation of the Nigerian public sector, the Measuring Performance
Thematic Working Group (MPTG) of Governance and Institutions Policy Commission (GIPC) of the Nigerian
Economic Summit Group (NESG) in conjunction with the Aig-Imoukhuede Foundation, seeks to create a
Nigerian Public Sector Performance Index.
Public sector activities influence a country’s performance via two means – directly, through the level and changes of productivity within the public sector, and indirectly, by enabling enhanced productivity in the private sector. Public sector activities, therefore, have a direct influence on a country’s key economic and social indicators with research establishing a positive causal relationship between the efficiency of a country’s public sector and its economic and social development (OECD, 2001).
One of the ways increased efficiency in a country’s public sector can be facilitated is via the provision of information about public sector activities to stakeholders. Access to the right data can inform policy, stimulate research, and encourage informed debate. Indicator reports and indices are indispensable tools in information dissemination as they can present complex data in an accessible format, and they are useful in identifying trends in performance and policies and drawing attention to issues (OECD, 2008).
3. Job Summary
The Research Manager will lead the design and development of the Aig-Imoukhuede Public Sector Performance Index. Specifically, the Research Manager will supervise the ongoing data collection process, conduct the data analysis, and develop the Index data model.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager and the Working Committee, the Research Manager will lead the validation of the theoretical framework, research design, and methodology of the Index with a view to learning and improving the extended phase of the project. This will precede the completion of the pilot phase currently assessing the performance of ten (10) Federal Ministries.
An ideal candidate will be adept at public sector research, dataset development and modeling, and Index construction. S/he will be competent in data analysis and research processes as well as in generating evidence from a variety of data types and sources.
The job will cover but not be limited to the following:
• Prepare and manage desk research and literature reviews
• Prepare the methodology for the qualitative and quantitative research
• Coordinate primary and secondary research to ensure timely and robust data collection in line with international best practices.
• Evaluate responses of the public institutions being assessed vis-à-vis the supplied evidence, opinions of non-government stakeholders, and available secondary information.
• Provide robust analysis of the data/results on the public sector performance
• Develop full and synthesized reports, presentation summaries, research references, and records.
• Synthesize learning from the research studies, drawing implications and/or conclusions that are actionable, impactful, and accessible to stakeholders in the form of policy/strategy/technical notes Index Construction
• Apply index construction methodologies to translate raw data into index scores and ranking.
• Compile and organize various datasets and provide detailed interpretations of results.
• Develop interactive Excel-based tools to assist in the presentation and interpretation of the Index results.
• Develop data dictionary, input, and code data in the statistical software.
Data Visualisation and Management
• Design and implement effective database solutions and models to legally acquire (collect) primary and secondary data.
• Design a digital infrastructure/platform to store and retain data obtained through surveys and other data collection methods.
• Build a data dictionary using extract, transform and load (ETL) techniques to curate the Index.
• Design and implement effective database solutions to store the aggregated data.
• Conduct data analysis and use data science techniques to generate reports and visualizations.
• Activate and review the results of the data visualization platform.
• Monitor the system performance by performing regular tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new features in line with the Index project objectives.
• Validate the performance index findings.
• Collaborate with the project team and a wide range of stakeholders to test the validity, reliability and robustness of methodology, sample size, dataset, indicators and metrics
• Documentation of lessons learnt from the pilot phase
• Make recommendations on the necessary improvements for the next and subsequent phases of the project.
Disseminating research findings
• Design the appropriate dissemination strategy for all research commissioned, including writing reports, producing brochures, contributing to relevant research publications, etc.
• Present research findings in a compelling and informative manner that can be used by different stakeholders
Linkages to the wider research community
• Keep abreast of research that is of interest to the Foundation both within Nigeria and internationally
• Maintain active relationships with academia, public research institutes, think tanks, and associations working on research areas that are of interest to the Foundation and the Performance Index
5. Required Skills and Qualifications
• A Master’s degree in Economics, International Development, Public Policy, Statistics, or a related field
• A Ph.D would be advantageous
• Minimum of nine years of relevant work experience, including five years of work experience in statistical modeling or index construction.
• Strong relationship management experience with the ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders
• Experience in supervision and leadership
• Demonstration of a good understanding of governance issues and public sector performance in human development index, regulatory environment, and other key sectors.
• Proven work experience in public policymaking and social impact is desirable
• Must possess strong analytical and conceptual skills with proven experience working on development research projects in Nigeria.
• Strong project management ability and excellent communication skills.
• Ability to adhere to deadlines and flexibility.
6. Management Arrangements
The consultant will report to the Project Manager based on agreed milestones and the approved reporting schedule.
7. Copyright and Intellectual Property Rights
Data collected for this project will be handled in compliance with the Foundation’s data protection policy.
The Research Manager may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior written consent of the Aig-Imoukhuede Foundation.
8. Mode of application
Interested candidates should submit the following:
a. Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information including how the candidate’s previous experience matches the project objectives as well as their interest for the position (no longer than two pages).
b. CV with professional references or letters of recommendation.
c. Samples of recent similar assignments- online portfolios and links.
Applications not meeting the above criteria and not including all the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interested parties must submit, their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org copying
email@example.com no later than 11th November, 2022.