An integrated, vibrant, self-respecting and globally-respected Africa, characterized by democratic governance, sustainable development and economic systems that deliver more just, inclusive and accountable outcomes with and for the people and the environment in Africa.
To advance gender justice and women’s rights, deepen democracy, accountable governance and inclusive development in Africa through participatory and strategic grantmaking and advocacy.
OSF-Africa supports innovative interventions with effective strategies that respond to the broader deep-seated political, justice and socio-economic roadblocks to open society in Africa. In addition to the tools of grant making, research and advocacy, we seek to seize new opportunities and deploy novel tools such as arts and culture, technology, strategic litigation and impact investment to address open society challenges.
OSF-Africa’s priority countries are Angola, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Eswatini, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSF-Africa is now seeking proposals from these countries under the following strategic pillars (NB: Pan-African and sub-regional proposals are also welcome):
EXPRESSION AND PARTICIPATION:
- Resisting the capture of democratic processes and institutions
- Resisting the capture of electoral processes and institutions
- Promoting access to information, digital rights and independent media
- Promoting arts and culture
- Supporting human rights defenders (HRDs)
SECURITY AND RIGHTS:
- Supporting civilian oversight of and an accountable security sector
- Supporting narrative change around insecurity and terrorism
- Advancing the security and safety for women and girls and sexual and gender minorities, including in conflict areas
ACCOUNTABILITY AND JUSTICE:
- Promoting institutional transformation and renewal
- Strengthening national, regional and continental human rights and legal accountability mechanisms
- Challenging corporate power as relates to capture
- Supporting and strengthening broad-based intersectional human rights and accountability movements
OPPORTUNITY AND EQUITY:
- Supporting access to justice and the rights of the marginalized
- Addressing inequality through policies and practice
- Supporting enablers and catalytic economic reforms
- Working towards fair global climate governance and justice
- Strengthening intersectional feminist knowledge production and uptake
- Supporting intersectional feminist movements
- Strengthening the field to anchor the work of the other pillars
- Positioning African women’s rights globally
- Re-invigorating pan-African civil society: decolonizing academia and research
- Advancing African influence globally
The OSF-Africa strategy with more information about the strategic pillars and their objectives is available here.
OSF-Africa primarily awards grants to African organizations. OSF-Africa may provide funding to Africa-based international organizations committed to African leadership, voice and agency on exception. OSF-Africa can grant to public institutions as well as sub-regional and continental organizations. We may support work undertaken by unregistered movements and/or individuals. Interested organizations must submit, in PDF format, a completed application proposal and budget (in English, French or Portuguese) and other documents stipulated in the application form. Applications not submitted with all relevant documentation may be delayed.
SUBMISSION AND DEADLINES
Proposals should be sent via e-mail to OSF-Africa-Proposals@osisa.org. Proposals will be accepted until May 13, 2022. OSF-Africa encourages early submission of proposals. Proposals received after the due date will not be considered.
OSF-Africa receives thousands of proposals a year and the time required to review a proposal varies according to the complexity of the proposal. It may take three to six months from the time a proposal is received to the date a final decision is made. You will be advised accordingly.