Learn how the NNNGOs is helping its members and nonprofits with Covid-19
The Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG)
The Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG) is a global network of advisors, working in partnership with the Disability Movement on catalytic opportunities that have potential to spark broader, systemic change for inclusion. IAG is a key element of CBM Global’s programming approach, alongside field programmes and advocacy work. We believe that tailored advice – communicated effectively, with the right people at the table – can help make inclusion a reality. IAG promote the implementation of a rights-based approach to disability in development and humanitarian action by supporting our clients to strengthen their policies, systems and capacities on key issues such as accessibility, reasonable accommodation, data, participation, awareness-raising, and the role of organisations of persons with disabilities (OPDs). IAG has provided tailored advice spanning from international and national policies and guidance to grassroots community development.
Our advice is tailored for specific contexts and framed and aligned with relevant international frameworks and evidence on human rights. Overall, IAG has provided advice for 15 years to mainstream development and humanitarian partners, including various donors, development banks, UN entities and programmes, and
nongovernment organisations, with this post supporting the early work in Nigeria. For more information about the work, our approach and impact of IAG please see the website.
Our Vision: an inclusive world in which all people with disabilities enjoy their human rights and achieve their full potential.
Our Mission: fighting to end the cycle of poverty and disability.
• We champion inclusion
• We strive for justice
• We pursue excellence
• We embrace partnership
• We live with integrity
While the world has been making progress in tackling poverty, people with disabilities are being left behind. CBM Global works alongside people with disabilities in the world’s poorest places to fight poverty and exclusion and
transform lives. Driven by Christian values, we seek out and work with the most marginalised in society, irrespective of race, gender or religion, recognising the equal worth of every individual.
Drawing on over 100 years’ experience and world-leading expertise in disability inclusive community development and humanitarian action, inclusive eye health and community mental health, CBM Global works with partners to break the cycle of poverty and disability and build inclusive communities. Our programmes across Africa, Asia and Latin America are developed and delivered with local partner organisations to ensure long-term transformation and accountability in communities we serve. We’re deeply committed to the principle of “nothing about us without us”, and we therefore work closely with and support organisations of people with disabilities.
CBM Global is made up of CBM Australia, CBM Ireland, CBM Kenya, CBM New Zealand, CBM Switzerland, and CBM UK with programmes worldwide and Country Offices in Philippines, Bangladesh, Laos, Nepal, Indonesia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Madagascar and Bolivia. CBM Global works in over 20 countries, maximising our impact through long-term, authentic partnership and a coordinated mix of inclusive community-based programmes, local to global advocacy and delivering inclusion advice to other organisations. We draw on learning and evidence from our community work to inform our advocacy hand-in-hand with the Disability Movement at local, national and international levels, including with the UN, to achieve systemic change for people
with disabilities. Via our Inclusion Advisory Group, we advise governments, UN bodies and other organisations on how to ensure inclusion in their own organisations, policies and programmes to further amplify our impact.
Disability Inclusion Advisor, Inclusion Advisory Group – Nigeria Full time
The Disability Inclusion Advisor will report for management purposes to the Country Programme Manager of CBM Global’s Nigeria Country Office. The Disability Inclusion Advisor is a member of a network of advisors across CBM
Global called the Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG). As such the postholder will besupported by the wider IAG as well as by the specific Nigeria focal point within the global IAG team who will provide technical oversight and mentoring through a dotted reporting line.
CBM Global has extensive experience in providing inclusion advice to others through our IAG. The IAG is a global network of Advisory teams who deliver advice in collaboration with the Disability Movement and associate advisors. Inclusion Advisory work is one key means through which CBM Global seeks to achieve its
This Disability Inclusion Advisor will work with the country team, with support from the wider IAG where relevant, to grow Advisory work in Nigeria and may contribute to Advisory work and learning across the wider IAG. The Disability Inclusion Advisor will be responsible for setting the direction of our work, developing relationships
with Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs) and other delivery partners, as well as growing a body of Advisory work, and delivering on it within the framework of the Country Strategy Paper (CSP).
This position is based in Abuja, Nigeria.
We only offer local contracts for people with residence in Nigeria.
This position requires travelling within Nigeria and internationally on a frequent basis.
Hours: The role is full time.
Salary range: The salary offered will be determined based on skills and experience. We offer a local contract.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Develop and/or refine the Nigeria Country Office Advisory strategy, adjusting over time as needed;
• Develop and/or maintain excellent relationships with the Disability Movement, with clear understanding of how to ensure that collaboration on Advisory is constructive and complementary;
• Represent the Nigeria team within the wider IAG network;
• Scope out Advisory opportunities in Nigeria;
• Provide advice to clients, collaborating and coordinating with agreed delivery partners, including representatives from the Disability Movement;
• Engage in continuous learning and upskilling and contribute through sharing learning as is required for Advisory work;
• Tracking and documenting disability inclusion components of Nigeria Country Office field programmes
• Perform any other tasks as may be assigned the Country Programme Manager and or Senior Management Team
Key outcomes expected from this role
• Advisory strategy developed, documented, and adjusted as needed
• Mutually beneficial relationships developed with OPDs in relation to Advisory
• IAG and Nigeria country team is well represented within local development and humanitarian networks
• Nigeria is well represented and participates in the global IAG, including accessing support and participating in peer review and other peer learning and quality processes
• New opportunities for Advisory work generated and delivered on at high quality
What you will bring to the role:
All of the following requirements are essential, unless marked with a * when they are desirable, and will be assessed from a combination of information provided from the application form and interview process.
CBM Global welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
• Experience in design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of human rights-based development and/or humanitarian programs and policies, preferably including experience working on disability inclusive programs and
• Understanding of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its application to country policies and programs
• Experience providing advice to other organisations*
• Demonstrated training and capacity development skills and experience
• Strong networks with the Disability Movement*
• A willingness to contribute to the growth and development of CBM Global, and the Inclusion Advisory Group
• Ability to manage shifting workloads and priorities and deliver high quality work on time
• Excellent communication skills (written and spoken), including the ability to adapt pitch, style, and content of messages for different audiences, and to communicate in an inclusive manner
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain networks of communication with a range of stakeholders
• Ability to work as a member of a team, as well as the ability to work in a self-directed manner
• Strategic thinking and creativity
• Academic or demonstrated applied background in humanitarian and/or development studies, disability studies, social science or other relevant qualifications. Post graduate qualifications in the above is an advantage but
• We offer flexible working options depending on location and choice, including office, hybrid and potentially working from home options.
• As part of its commitment to its work with people with disabilities, CBM Global aims to successfully employ and retain people with disabilities and welcomes people with diverse backgrounds. We have a comprehensive
equality and diversity policy.
Shortlisting and Interviews
CBM Global is an equal opportunities employer, committed to ensuring all applications are treated fairly.
All applications are subject to our shortlisting process; if you are shortlisted we will contact you and invite you to attend an online interview. You will also be advised at this point if there will be any skills or tasks to complete as part of the recruitment process.
Diversity Policy Statement
Our workplace promotes an inclusive and accessible environment that supports all staff to thrive, with provision of reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities where needed.
We believe that the success of any organisation depends upon its people and their diverse abilities, skills, languages, cultures, and backgrounds. The greater diversity in the staffing of people with different lived experiences helps promote innovation, creativity, and smarter solutions to the constantly changing environments in which
CBM Global is committed to the safety and best interest of all children and vulnerable adults accessing CBM Global supported services and programmes. Relevant background checks including working with children, police and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed.
All applicants must have the right to work in the relevant country. All offers of employment are made subject to the following criteria: Proof of eligibility and satisfactory employment screening, and three references satisfactory to CBM Global.
How to apply
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
More information about the Inclusion Advisory Group and CBM Global Disability Inclusion can be found by visiting the IAG website here, and the CBM Global Website here.
Closing date: Wednesday 18th May 09:00 UK BST
To apply for this role as a permanent employee:
1. You must be a citizen of Nigeria or have the right to work and live in Nigeria.
We do not offer an expatriate contract for this role.
2. Please download and complete the Application Form here Nigeria: Disability Inclusion Advisor, Inclusion Advisory Group | CBM Global (cbm-global.org).
There is space on the Application Form to include a cover letter, so there is no need to provide a separate letter. Please make sure that you provide specific examples where you meet the essential criteria outlined in the
Person Specification, either here or on your CV.
3. Send along with your Curriculum Vitae (no more than two pages) to email@example.com by the closing date.
4. In the subject header of your email it would be helpful if you could add your name and the role title for which you are applying; ‘Disability Inclusion Advisor, IAG – Nigeria’.
5. Informal enquiries are also welcome to the above email address.
Many of our roles advertised attract large numbers of applicants, and we may not be able to respond to everyone that applies. If we have not been in touch with you within three weeks of the closing date, it is likely that on this occasion we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the criteria more fully. We do thank you for your application and your interest in working with CBM Global. Please feel free to apply again in the future for other suitable roles.
We very much look forward to receiving your application.